Go to dcscholasticchess.org for more information about chess around the area.
The mission of Chess Girls DC is to build the confidence of Girls using Chess as a tool. Chess teaches Persistence. The Chess Girls DC program develops a solid foundation of chess knowledge taught in a way that properly prepares girls to apply it in a productive fashion, in order that every maneuver becomes a way to practice effective thinking.
Chess Girls DC 501c3 Nonprofit Organization was launched in response to scientific evidence that self -confidence plays a tremendous role in a girl’s approach to course work that requires higher level thinking skills and challenging circumstances. Chess teaches the focus and strategic thinking used to successfully tackle college examinations. Scientific studies show that, confidence in one’s abilities has a significant impact on learning and performance on many levels. Self-belief about one’s ability determines how well students motivate themselves and persevere in the face of difficulty.
Chess Girls DC is a nonprofit organization created to provide a space for all girls to play Chess and Thrive.
On the anniversary of our 5th year, Chess Girls DC is most proud of the community that helps us provide resources to teach and assist girls with travel to compete in national tournaments and professional coaching to elevate their tournament performance.
Over the years, Chess Girls DC presented several approaches to teaching chess to students during the year and incorporating family engagement.
· Weekly lectures by an experienced chess professionals
· Supervised chess games with volunteers
· Video conferencing with young up and coming higher ranked chess players
· Students were taught how to use chess clocks
· All students received age appropriate books to encourage chess literacy
· Students were taught and practiced chess notation
· Lessons were guided by chess books appropriate for younger students
· Students were given weekly take home activities to reinforce lesson
· Students had the ability to participate in on line chess education (chesskids.com) with videos, lectures and chess puzzles.
· Students participate in the end of the semester recognition award ceremony for personal accomplishments during semester
· Students were coached and supported to participate in local and national tournaments.
Chess Girls DC 501c3 organization hosted the Regional Girls Mid Atlantic tournament.
· There are field trips to meet Chess masters
· Chess Girls DC exposed parents to chess scholarship opportunities
· Chess Players and Leadership Series
Meet 10 year old Ayah, the newest 4th grade Mid Atlantic Chess Champion. She represented Washington,DC at the All Girls National Tournament of Champions. She is the youngest and the first African American girl to represent Washington, DC. Ayah has been part of Chess Girls DC for 5 years.
Every month we will post helpful articles to help you improve your chess game.
Tips to Balance Chess and School Classes
It is definitely not easy to manage trying to improve in chess as well as academics (especially for high school students). Elementary students will have more time to practice chess. But there are ways to balance both improving in chess and academics. It’s very important to make the best use of the time we are given, and follow a daily plan to finish school homework and get time to improve in chess.
In a future article, I will recommend some very important chess books for beginners.
The 2018 All Girls representative for the District of Columbia.
She actively competes in Robotics competitions in addition her Chess studies.
Ayah is the 2019 4th grade Mid Atlantic Chess Champion . This is the first time a girl from Washington,DC has held this position.
A member since 2013, Ayah loves competing with her friends, looking forward to All Girls Nationals in Chicago. http://rknights.org/registration/tournaments/all-girls-nationals/
Your donations support girls as they develop into high level chess players. Please donate as we are victims of the government shutdown.
Sign up to stay in touch about Girls Regional events or Chess Girls DC
Classes on Saturdays Catholic University, Catholic University, District of Columbia 20064, United States
Chess Girls DC is a place where girls intellectually challenge the world.