The mission of Chess Girls DC is to build the confidence of Girls using Chess as a tool. Chess teaches Persistence. The Chess Girls DC program develops a solid foundation of chess knowledge taught in a way that properly prepares girls to apply it in a productive fashion, in order that every maneuver becomes a way to practice effective thinking.
Chess Girls DC 501c3 Nonprofit Organization was launched in response to scientific evidence that self -confidence plays a tremendous role in a girl’s approach to course work that requires higher level thinking skills and challenging circumstances. Scientific studies show that, confidence in one’s abilities has a significant impact on learning and performance on many levels. Self-belief about one’s ability determines how well students motivate themselves and persevere in the face of difficulty.
Chess Girls DC is a nonprofit organization created to provide a space for all girls to play Chess and Thrive.
On the anniversary of our 5th year, Chess Girls DC is most proud of it’s relentless success to identify resources to assist girls with travel to compete in national tournaments and professional coaching to elevate their tournament performance.
Chess Girls DC presented several approaches to teaching chess to students during the year and incorporating family engagement.
· Weekly lectures by an experienced chess professionals
· Supervised chess games with volunteers
· Video conferencing with young up and coming higher ranked chess players
· Students were taught how to use chess clocks
· All students received age appropriate books to encourage chess literacy
· Students were taught and practiced chess notation
· Lessons were guided by chess books appropriate for younger students
· Students were given weekly take home activities to reinforce lesson
· Students had the ability to participate in on line chess education (chesskids.com) with videos, lectures and chess puzzles.
· Students participate in the end of the semester recognition award ceremony for personal accomplishments during semester
· Students were coached and supported to participate in local and national tournaments.
Chess Girls DC 501c3 organization hosted the Regional Girls Mid Atlantic tournament.
· There are field trips to meet Chess masters
· Chess Girls DC exposed parents to chess scholarship opportunities
· Chess Players and Leadership Series
David Bennett is an actively competing National Master & International (FIDE) titled Candidate Master, currently ranked #3 in Washington, D.C. and top 1% in nation (USCF 2246, Oct. 2017). A Los Angeles, California native, David has played chess competitively for over 15 years. He studied History and Political Science at the University of Michigan and completed a dual master's degree in Public Administration and Urban Planning at the University of Southern California. He is a VIRTUS certified instructor.
David takes a holistic approach focused on the importance of deep strategic/positional understanding, and patience. Using a flexible, dynamic playing approach combined with a powerful thinking technique he instructs the student to effectively dissect and understand any position in order to consistently play strong moves. He is fluent in Spanish. David tailors his approach based on the student’s goals.
Sign up to stay in touch about Girls Regional events or Chess Girls DC
Classes on Saturdays Catholic University, Catholic University, District of Columbia 20064, United States
Chess Girls DC is a place where girls intellectually challenge the world.